Mr. India, directed by the acclaimed director Shekhar Kapoor is indeed a masterpiece- a word I use with lots of care. It was the highest grossing film of 1987 and probably the first Indian superhero film. There are certain reasons which make this film a unique watch-
- It has a brilliant plot- based on the the food agitation scandal of late 80′s and early 90′s.
- The protagonist is particularly good. He claims himself to be a simple man and helps the poor from being exploited like any Bollywood hero would do.
- It has one of the greatest and most acclaimed villainous performances of all times- Mogambo (do I need to say more?)
- Children loved the film for its special effects and the kiddie brigade taking on the villains.
- The grown ups couldn’t get enough of Sridevi in one of the most erotic wet saree songs ever in Hindi films- ‘Kaate Nahin kat te’. This song is a remarkable piece as it is a duet shot with only Sridevi in most frames. Will you believe if I said it was sung by Kishore Kumar and Alisha Chinoi?
At the top of it- it has all the masala a Bollywood film needs, but manages to stand apart for its uniqueness. Afterall, entertaining the viewer is a filmmaker’s primary job.
I’ll give it 7.5/10.